Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Unrequired Love

When I was younger I thought that my immense vocabulary was certainly something to be haughtily proud of. By seven or eight, I was soooo much wiser than all those other kids who foolishly thought that some tart named Madonna was singing "Like A Virgin" -- "Who would be singing about baby Jesus' mom outside of church?" I scoffed. I knew that it was "Like, Aversion" -- didn't have a clue what Aversion was, but I knew it was a word and a BIG word at that -- therefore, it must be right.

I also remember hearing about "unrequited love," and assuming that some idiot must have misspoken -- the term, I was certain from my little grade school soapbox of superiority, was "unREQUIRED love." It made much more sense. You could love someone to death, and that was enough -- if they didn't return the affection, it was all good -- you had enough love for both of you and their reciprocation was, in fact, unrequired for your happiness. I mean, I had unrequired love for four out of five New Kids on the Block at one point or another and that was enough for me. It wasn't until I was 15 or so and developed the first gigantic crush of my life that I realized that just my participation in this love fest wasn't gonna cut it -- love was, cruelly, a two-way street of requirement.

The concept didn't really strike me again until recently, and in a way I never thought possible. Unrequired (yes, I mean to keep phrasing it that way) love doesn't just work between two grownups of incompatible attraction. It is just as strong and infinitely more heartbreaking between a parent and child.

As background, let me point out that I am currently "transitioning" -- er, "crashing" as my husband would say -- between medications. The Effexor I had been taking for a few months hadn't been doing its job -- neither had any of the multitude of other anti-depressant/anti-anxiety/SSRI/herbicide/pesticide concoctions we've tried over the years. I have recently been more and more frequently rendered absolutely helpless under panic and anxiety attacks, scaring fellow airline passengers from coast to coast as I shake, sweat and squirm as though being questioned by the Iraqi Republican Guard (sorry, I watch too much "Lost") while the rest of the people on board somehow manage to blithely go on with their existence around me. Bastards.

Anyway, I have just "ramped down" off of Effexor and am "ramping up" on Zoloft with a chaser of Klonopin every day. Let me tell you, Klonopin is fuuuuuuun stuff. Not so sure I should be driving, or walking, or even attempting to pee unassisted while on it, but it sure does negate those anxiety attacks. wheeeeeee.

I digress. (as usual). In addition to bottoming out my supply of Effexor and still taking only a tiny dose of Zoloft as my body adjusts to the new meds, this week is also what Dan and I refer to as "Mr. Happy Week" -- signaling the arrival of the ONLY thing whose absence made pregnancy enjoyable. Let me tell you what kind of head-on, pedestrian vs. 18-wheeler at 100 mph collision PMS and emotional/psychological drainage does to you.

Has anyone out there who takes medication for anxiety or depression or any of their related mental cousins ever wondered what kind of parent they would be without the meds? For me, I feel like my mommy license should routinely be suspended -- and that's WITH the aid of things that are supposed to keep me in control. For weeks and months, I have been snappy; frustrated; prone to slamming down the spoon and leaving the room when Molly won't cooperate with mealtimes and begging Dan "YOU do it -- she hates me. She won't eat for me." I have no patience and I hate it. I have no control over my emotions and I hate it. I wonder every day of my life why God made such an immature, selfish, unstable human being responsible for a helpless little blond creature who doesn't know any better that her continued insistence on putting the food in her hair makes Mommy leave the room and cry. And I hate it.

I was overwhelmed yesterday with feelings of unrequired love in regard to Molly. I feel like I am a passing fancy to her -- interesting when I first walk in the room, but never anything that elicits feelings of joy or love or clinginess or need or anything. When moms on my baby board ask other moms for advice about how to get their child to stop crying "Mommy! Mommy!" when they leave the room or stop clinging to their leg or who won't go to sleep unless Mommy tucks them in, I want to reach through cyberspace and smack them in the head with some unrequired hatred. I feel that I am nothing more than an interesting diversion to Molly and that I am pouring love on her the best way I know how, which admittedly is very flawed and littered with frustration, self-doubt and anger that I will never get this Mommy business right.

One of the only times I feel that my unrequired love is being returned, or at least tolerated, is bedtime -- the times when she actually allows me to rock her to sleep; when she nuzzles up to my neck, pokes me in the eye a few times just to make sure I'm still there and still gazing at her, and then drifts off to sleep. Part of me relishes this ritual so much because it makes me feel like it is the only part of Mommyhood I am any good at, and the only time I feel like she needs/wants me. But then other times, like last night, I realize that she would probably curl up with Jack the Ripper or the Son of Sam for all she cares - it has nothing to do with me being special to her.

As I rocked her last night, after an evening full of Mommy throwing down spoons, declaring that Molly will "never" walk because she is clearly sooooo far behind, only taking 10-12 steps at a time at 14 months (10-12 steps at a time is 11-12 steps more than she took a week ago, mind you), I absolutely fell apart in her comfy glider chair. I was torn between "she needs me and loves me and I am a toxic, horrible mother in return" and "she couldn't care less about me, and I could snuggle and cuddle her here til 3 am and nothing is going to change that." I laid her in her crib, sat down on the floor next it, and cried. For a very long time. I even scooted over to the darkest, smallest corner of the room I could find, wedging myself between the crib and her dresser, wanting to curl up into the smallest, most pathetic ball possible (yet staying away from the monitor lest Daddy hear the muffled sobs, think it was Molly crying, and come up to find me holed up like a wounded badger).

After about half an hour I thought I had a grip, so I went off to bed. Two minutes after laying down it started all over again. And despite the fact that Molly was happily asleep in her crib, I padded down the hall, picked her up, and brought her to bed with me. I laid there with her on my chest, crying as quietly as possible so as to not wake her up, until my mom, who is staying with us during weekdays to help watch her until she starts daycare (too soon), got up to go to the bathroom and noticed Molly's door was open. She checked her room, found no baby, and came into my room to find her 30 year old, fiercely independent, well educated daughter trying to quickly wipe a mess of tears and mascara off her face while desperately hugging an oblivious sleeping toddler in the other.

My mother, who has dealt with a host of mental issues both personally and in her family, found very little odd about this and simply asked, "is she OK?" knowing full well it was not because Molly couldn't sleep that she was curled up with Mommy.

I had already taken a sleeping pill to try to help numb the mess in my head, so I answered back "Yes. It's me. She didn't need me -- I needed her. It's just...just...this is the only time I feel like I am being a good mom to her. She doesn't need me. I need her."

Lovely - I am crying all over the place even rehashing this, which is super duper considering I am about to get on a conference call at work.

My mom gingerly picked Molly up, put her back in her crib, and somehow I wasn't embarassed any more -- I kept saying "I can't do it. I'm a horrible mom. I mean, all these meds -- what kind of mom am I that I need medication to function, and I can't even function very well WITH them."

I don't remember what she said except that she sat on my bed and said reassuring things - the things I expect a good Mommy to say, whatever age they are, to their messed up, hysterical child, whatever age THEY are.

There is no happy moral to this story. I woke up with a blinding migraine and just wanted to die. I have been crying on and off all day. I am sure those of you used to reading my humorous blatherings on all things banal will think an alien took over this blog for the day - but as I said yesterday, to know me is to love all of me, even the crazy parts (and the dysfunctional ass). I just hope my mom is right, and that I am not suffering from unrequired love from Molly. Maybe my mom felt the same way at some point as I was growing up. I'm just glad she knew that she was desperately required by me last night, and I hope someday, Molly will do the same.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright Water Girl - Just finished reading. I haven't been on meds before, so I can't relate to that. But I CAN relate to feeling like your toddler doesn't love you. When my Mom was here after Nate was born (and even before that when dh was doing most of the "lovey" things with Sean because my big pg body couldn't do it) I was sure he had no need for me at all. The topper was when he was crying one night and I went in to help dh with him (take over because it had been a while), and he didn't want me. Only wanted Daddy. I was CRUSHED. For a long time.

What people told me is that they go through phases. Sometimes they only want Daddy, or Mommy, or noone. She DOES love you. She's just little and is too obsessed with learning to walk and playing to make a concerted effort of showing you that. And believe me, she does need you to show her love when she goes to sleep at night. YOU! Not anyone. And I will also tell you that part of the reason she probably doesn't dote on you other time is that you are such a good Mom to her that she KNOWS you are there and will be there so she doesn't need to test that.

I actually just thought of something a college roommate used to say when something was "assumed" to be there. She used to call it "The Undersood You". Such as when you say "Come here", the noun in that sentence (You) is understood.

You are her "Understood You". She knows you are there. Always.

Anonymous said...

Mel,
Sorry you are feeling so down. I can't really relate to the meds issue (at least not yet - I think I may need your counsel in the future however). Molly does love you and NEED you. Toddlers are just easily distracted and very busy at this point in their lives. She is able to be busy because she knows you are there even without her having to cling to you! What a great job you are doing to have such an independent self assured little girl (hmmmm... wonder who she takes after??)
Oh, and as for taking steps, Brittany will be 15 months on Aug 4th and she will NOT walk a step without someone holding her hand - she completely freaks out. I have a feeling neither one of us will 15 year-old who are still crawling - kwim???

(((HUGS))) From the 1000 post Demingley Hampster

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel - I was going to say some of the same things peadiddychick and anonymous said. Molly certainly does love and need you . . . she's just searching for her own independent self. And that means breaking away from the people closest to her from time to time. There are times when Audrey only wants Daddy and those times cut like a knife ('cuz Daddy is more fun, I think). However, the minute she has a booboo or needs some comfort, Mommy is the one she wants. Now, I'm sure this hurts Curt too . . . so, see? We all suffer! ;-)
I'm sorry about your PMS and your medication transition. THIS TOO SHALL PASS.
Hugs!

Precie said...

Watergirl--I've been on Paxil for almost 6 years (mostly on, with one awful attempt to switch to Serzone and one attempt to wean off), and I believe the overwhelming weepiness and insecurity are from the switch in meds. I couldn't begin to fathom my total lack of emotional control during the few times I've been off Paxil since starting it--I was a blubbering wreck during my attempt to try Serzone instead.

I'm sure you're a wonderful mother. And I'm sure Molly needs you and loves you. Yes, they go through stages...and, yes, the first time Matthew didn't reach for me when he was being held by DH but instead turned away and clung to DH more closely, it broke my heart.

But honestly, I think last night was all chemical chaos...and I hope you'll feel better once you find the right meds. Others might think vitamins and exercise should be all you need, but I can attest that, unfortunately, I need Paxil in order to be my best self. I've tried therapy, I've exercised, I've used a variety of coping strategies, but Paxil is the only thing that prevents me from needing coping strategies...it's the only thing that makes daily existence less like work and more like the blessing it is. So don't feel bad or guilty...just focus on what works and on getting your self back.

Tess said...

Mel--I can't add much to what the pps said, but I just wanted to give you my support.

Anonymous said...

WaterGirl - I am crying from reading your post (PMS was last week, dammit!!). I just know that you are a great Mommy! I totally agre with what PeaDiddyChick said. She is much more eloquent than I am!! I'm glad you have a place to vent your feelings, and feel free to share with us anytime!!

Natalie said...

MellyWelly - I love Precie's term "chemical chaos"... i think that is exactly the problem. What you are describing is exactly how I feel when I am not taking my medication. Thus the breakdown a few weeks ago on the board, followed by 3 weeks of my not visiting the board because "nobody loves me everbody hates me i might as well go eat worms" except I didn't eat worms. I ate a lot of pie. Pie will make you feel better by the way. You might have to eat a lot before it starts working, but it will work.

These kids... I can't add anymore than what everyone else has. Molly will go through spells of wanting you and ignoring you. Right now, Colby's spell is wanting me and NOT wanting his dad. Last night, he fell off his rocking horse and conked his noggin. Marty was in the room with him and picked him up and was hugging him and I came in the room to ask about him and he started screaming, pushing away from his dad and fighting to get away. As soon as marty put him down, he headed straight for me and lay down on my shoulder and resumed his "I'm hurt" cry. I thought marty was going to squall... But since I have an older child, I know that next week may very well be my turn to be completely ignored. Oh, and Colby is not even close to walking either. He won't even walk holding our hands. I think maybe his leg bones are made of strictly cartilage.

hugs and smooches, keep taking your medicine, and know we all love you.

shopspacemonkey said...

Mel,
Geesh, you are such a great writer.
I can't identify with what meds do to your body, although I think I should be on some meds. I have the "terrible mother" syndrome. Sometimes just my kids "being kids" drives me batty. I also had a hysterical meltdown last night that paralyzed my dh. It took all of my strength (and my 3yr old telling me that Jude had a poopy diaper and my 5yo offering to change it) just to get out of bed. I have such a huge fear that all of my craziness is going to screw up my children. I like to think that it is just part of motherhood. We all struggle with this...
I am sorry you are going through a tough time right now. Things will get better. You are a good mom to Molly and she loves you. I like what Peachicky said about the "understood you".

aangelgoddess said...

Mel,

I love you..I sent you mail and I hope you got it but futtin' BBC is a nightmare for me sometimes...

The basic gist was that you are a Goddess to me, and I think we are twins that were seperated at birth...

My oldest was like Molly, fiercely independent and I often felt like a passing fancy to her...she's still that way, but now she's old enough to tell her crazy old mum how much she means, (even if she's talking to me like I am a dog 30 mins later)...

Molly can feel how much you love her, and that is the most important part...she will not remember you throwing down the spoon, or any of those other things that seem so huge in your mind...she will remember the love, all you need is love...

Please email me anytime day or night...we are on this med roller-coaster together and it makes for strange bedfellows, but a partner is like a liferaft in the ocean...

Love You, Mean It,
Angel

Linda said...

No words of wisdom. Just want you to know I am thinking of you.

Kellee said...

Gotta agree with Micheel on this one. Have a boy...they drive you LESS crazy. I speak from experience as my own daughter is about to drive me BONKERS! They/we can't help it. I think it's in our genes. Mothers & daughters are a mystical & volatile combination I'm discovering.

Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

The medicine game just sucks. I am convinced the generic Celexa I am on now is not working. I can so relate. A good cry can be good, but not when it leaves you tired and not feeling any better.