Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Men-ingitis

Here's a riddle: What's worse than a sick man?
A: A sick man you are married to.

What's worse than a sick man you are married to?
A: ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY NOTHING!!!

(By the way, my lubbly hubband who has da cowd said id wad OK for me to wride dis)

Why is it that men who are perfectly unfazed when they take a large divot of flesh out of their leg when using a garage-sale-find weedwacker that has been souped up for maximum efficiency with a rusty piece of coat hanger (true story in my house) are completely unable to function when they sneeze more than three times in a day? They will willingly play idiotic, harmful and certain-to-end-in-someone's-scrotum-being-the-focal-point-of-the-ER-visit sports like rugby (aka "drunk men trying to kill each other" -- in cleats!) , yet are reduced to whining, simpering, snot-leaking sacks of patheticness when they get a cold.

Dan harps on me for giving Molly children's Tylenol (he seriously thinks this could lead to an addiction problem. Of what??? Red liquids?? Like she'll rob a 7-11 someday because she has a primal need for an extra-watery Slushee because I gave her too many red suspended liquids as a child??!) anyway...dammit...hold on...(looking under my desk)...oh, OK, there's my point.

The kid is cutting fangs that are six thousand times worse than any puppy teeth I've even been gnawed by, which, Oh, I don't know, probably HURTS. We don't want to overmedicate. Unless daddy is sick.

He'll first walk around the house morosely opening and closing cabinet and refrigerator doors, sighing heavily, in that "pleeeeeeeease ask me what's wrong" tone, shoulders slumped.

When I don't pay attention (usually because I am watching "The West Wing" or "Lost" or something that seriously requires thought) he'll ask in a veryverysad little voice "wherrrrrre is the tylenol?"

"Why, do you have a headache?" I'll ask.

"My (fill in the blank, anything that is not actually his head) hurts/is clogged/is itchy."

"Well then you don't need Tylenol. You need allergy medicine."

"Ok. Wherrrrre is the allergy medicine?"

"Probably in the medicine cabinet. What an immensely silly name for such a holding device."

He'll go upstairs and I can hear him banging around in both bathrooms and usually the computer room as well. He'll come down five minutes later and collapse into a chair.

"Did you find it?"

"No. I found some cough medicine and some advil and some benadryl."

"So what did you take?"

"All of it."

Dan's idea of dosage for cough medicine is this: put bottle to lips, chug, count to some arbitrary number, like 17, and stop. He has no idea a) why we run out of cough medicine after a day and a half of illness and b) why he falls asleep for 20 hours at a time. Whatever the dosage is for anything, it clearly wasn't intended for such a unique physical specimen and I'm sure no doctors or technicians tested the doses on, like, full grown adults. So he doubles, or triples, the dose, and more often or not makes some kind of tossed salad type creation with whatever drugs he can find and washes them all down with a beer.

Right now he is suffering from allergies, although he of COURSE won't go to a doctor, or take medication that, you know, is intended to address ALLERGIES. He is also seemingly incapable of understanding what facial tissue was invented for, and instead opts to blow his nose IN THE SINK, WITH HIS HANDS. It is one of those sounds, like nails on a chalkboard or "Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States, George W. Bush" that make me want to rip whatever-colored hair I am sporting this week out of my head.

I am hoping to God that he feels better soon -- not because of a great concern for his welfare, but becaus I already have one child to take care of who at least can't fight me when I wipe her snotty nose with a Kleenex. Although...how does Dan know what I do to his snotty nose when he's passed out in a chair looped out of his mind on a Robitussin high??? Hmmm....

**Editor's note -- I am the ruling party/matriarch/CEO of Medicationland myself, so I realize I have no room to talk when it comes to pill popping, sleeping for ungodly amounts of time while the other spouse is left to tend to explosive diapers and a newfound affection for finger painting with one's food, whining, craving illness sympathy or a myriad of other things that I rip on my husband for. It's just funnier when it involves a man. Nyah.

11 comments:

Kristen Gill, Marketing Manager said...

OMG Mel!!! SO FUNNY!!!! LMAO!!! Patrick is the same way. And the "farmer blow" that he uses to blow his nose makes my skin actually crawl away!

Mel said...

OK, RANDOM SPAM GENERATED BLOG COMMENTS!!! GO TO HELL!!!!!!!

ARRRRRGHHHHH!!

(in case you were wondering what the deleted items were. Although I left one amusing one up there. Now, is that for parents of KIDS with ADHD, or for PARENTS with ADHD?!?!? In our house, it is definitely the latter!!)

Anonymous said...

I can't stand when my hubby is sick. He hates it when women say they have one more child than they do, meaning their husbands, but when he is sick, it's like I've got three extra babies on my hands.

(But the funniest part of today's entry is what you said about Bush.)

Mel said...

Sorry all readers -- had to go to a "no anonymous comments" format because i was getting a ton of spam responses.

Resolution Gal said...

ROFLMAO!!! Craughing, Kiki says.

I second the GWB comment as the funny, althought the modified weed-whacker hit a spot close to home with me.

However, I needed this. DH is sick, and he's driving me bananas. Do you find yourself whispering in Molly-O-Malley's ear "Don't follow your daddy's example. When you have allergies, take ALLERGY medicine."?

Or is it just me that does that? LOL

Cathy said...

That was hysterical!!

Here's my thoughts..

Men won't take preventative medicine because it will prevent them getting sick.

Men whine when they are sick because of the attention they got from mom as a child.

Men don't whine when they hurt themself doing something stupid because they hate the words "I told you so!" or "What the hell did you think was going to happen?!"

mistyblue3 said...

hahahahaha!! That is so my hubby too! I would much rather move out for the week when he's sick! Worse than all 3 of my kids put together during any sort of illness/cold/allergy... lol. too funny. I'll visit this site again for sure!

Misty

Precie said...

OMG! You expresed that perfectly! My DH gets like that too, of course, but he's tried to be better about it since Matthew arrived. He realizes I can't attend to him and Matthew at the same time...wow...logic! But, then again, he is currently suffering from what he believes to be an ingrown toenail. This man has a very high tolerance for pain so, when he complains about pain, it's pretty significant. And yet, he still won't go to a doctor for it. Ugh.

Tonya said...

So funny and so true! I can honestly say that I have only met two men that are not completely pathetic when they are sick, my dad and my grandfather. All other men are babies when they are sick.

aangelgoddess said...

How timely that I should be FINALLY catching up on your blog NOW when Bryan is also sick and was doing ALL these same things just last night and this morning...he can either get better soon, or I can bury him in the back yard...I know the insanity defense will work LOL!!

Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Hi, Mel...

Found you through your being tagged by Tess (on the Closet Meme--I tagged her) and your comment on her blue drink/IKEA post.

I grew up (sort of, I'm not quite 5') in Roseville/Detroit!

Regarding men-ingitis...a nurse I used to work with said MEN were the cause of (or exacerbated) all women's problems:

MENstruation
MENtal Illness
MENopause...

You can make a longer list, too!
Hh